Hello to all of you fellow a Commoner's Castle readers! I have so enjoyed Lauren's blog and am thrilled that she invited me to share with you today. I'm also a fairly new blogger and have been so blessed to become a part of this wonderfully supportive blogging community.
This is the very first project that I posted on my blog, and I thought I'd also share it with you. I bought these lamps several years ago at Hobby Lobby for 80% off.
Usually I just recover a shade that I'm tired of, but this one had curvy lines that would have made it really difficult. I couldn't walk into Ross or Target like I normally do and pick up a replacement. I'm sure I could have found some online or from a fancy lighting store that would have been the right size, but I wasn't willing to shell out the big bucks that I knew I'd have to pay.
I finally pulled out the scissors ready to snip off the old shade and try use it as a pattern to fashion some sort of new one, when a thought popped into my head. Paint fixes everything, right? Especially black paint! Why not try painting them? I was originally looking for a white shade, but knew that white wouldn't work over the red fabric. I use a lot of black accents so I decided to try it.
First, I snipped off the X cross pieces. I didn't want to work around them.
I used a bottle of Fabric Medium from Hobby Lobby and mixed some with my black acrylic paint. The medium helps the paint spread on more smoothly and evenly.
Using a foam brush, I applied the paint with a light touch as evenly as possible, being careful around the edges to get a clean line. I did discover that if I pressed too firmly the paint soaked through to the white silk liner underneath.
are a nice contrast to the brick.
Jennifer, Thanks so much for being a part of our blogiversary celebration, and for always being encouraging and inspiring.
I really hope you will all stop over to her site, and say hello! She has a beautiful home, and always has something amazing going on.